Saturday, June 18, 2011

Buck: A Movie I'd love to see

There are a few good movies that are often shown in limited release. The new Jane Eyre was one such movie that I didn't have a chance to go see.
Another that I'd love to see is Buck, a documentary about Buck Brannaman, a man who helps horses deal with people problems. Slated for release June 17, 2011,  I would love to see this movie because it's about a very unusual man who has risen above a difficult past to make a better future.

Buck Brannaman is a horse trainer who practices Natural horsemanship. Buck developed his approach to training horses out of his childhood experiences with an abusive father. His father trained him as a trick roper yet whipped him and his brother if they did not perform their tricks perfectly. The relationship was so abusive that Buck and his brother spent time in a foster home. Buck recognized the same fear and mistrust in horses who had been abused as in children who experienced abuse.

Buck felt that it was better to understand the nature of the horse and learn to work with that nature than to abuse the animal and dominate it with fear.

I've started horses since I was 12 years old, and have been bit, kicked, bucked off and run over. I've tried every physical means to contain my horse in an effort to keep from getting myself killed.
I started to realize that things would come much easier for me once I learned why a horse does what he does. This method works well for me because of the kinship that develops between horse and rider.

Now I don't ride horses, nor do I know a thing about horsemanship. I've been to the Calgary Stampede years ago but really I know little about cowboy culture. But I definitely want to see this film!



Your horse is a mirror to your soul, and sometimes you may not like what you see. Sometimes, you will."

No comments: