Thursday, July 7, 2011

YouCat

Who says the Catholic Church ain't cool?

Fresh off the press at Ignatius Press is YOUCAT - a new catechism for youth. Ignatius Press has published the English edition of this catechism for young people.

It has a foreword written by Pope Benedict XVI which says in part:

So I invite you: Study this Catechism! This is my heartfelt desire. This Catechism was not written to please you. It will not make life easy for you. It places before you the Gospel message as the "pearl of great value" (Mt 13:46)for which you must give everything. So I beg you: Study this Catechism with passion and perseverance. Make a sacrifice of your time for it! Study it in the quiet of your room; read it with a friend; form study groups and networks; share with each other on the Internet. By all means continue to talk with each other about your faith.


I love the book trailer:



I'm not too keen on the cover:

Since this is something that the Catholic church wants young people to read why didn't someone design an attractive cover using visuals that appeal to young people. Oh dear. I can't really tell what is on the cover so I'll have to wait until I get my own copy.

You can see sample pages on the Ignatius Press website. Apart from the failed cover, the presentation of the content is superb and the English version is faithful to the teachings of the Catholic church.

No comments: