Friday, October 26, 2012

This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen

I love picture books, because they offer so many creative ways to tell a story. The saying, "a picture is worth a thousand words" is never more true than for a picture book! Author-illustrator Jon Klassen's second book tells a delightful story using just enough text and simple but effective illustrations.

This Is Not My Hat is the story of a little fish who steals a big fish's bowler hat. The little fish tries to justify his theft and attempts to hide. Unsuccessfully. Klassen's artwork was created digitally and using Chinese ink.

The book trailer delightfully captures the storyline of Klassen's book:



Los Angeles based Jon Klassen worked as a illustrator and concept artist on both Coraline and Kung Fu Panda 2. Klassen has illustrated a number of picture books for children, including Cat's Night Out and The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place and more recently, Extra Yarn by Mac Barnett. Last year he made his move as a solo writer/illustrator with his debut, I Want My Hat Back. And it's a move children and librarians will be thankful for!

There's a great interview with Klassen here and also with Illustration Mundo.

You can also check out Jon's website, to view more of his amazing artwork.

Book Details:
This Is Not My Hat by Jon Klassen
Candlewick Press 2012

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry but I just had to say that I LOVE this blog, and I love that you not only post book reviews, but song, and movie reviews as well. I have a blog, but I just recently started it, so it's not that good, any tips?
http://alabowtbooks.blogspot.jp/